What you Need to Know about Facial Implants?
- Posted on: Jul 24 2017
If the appearance of your face has changed with age or you’ve always been less than satisfied with its proportions, facial implants can help transform your appearance. You’ll still look like you – only better.
In this blog, Dr. Thomas Romo III, a double board-certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon with Romo Plastic Surgery, explains what you need to know about facial implants.
What are facial implants?
These implants are designed to create a more defined, contoured facial structure. To achieve this, your plastic surgeon will use solid materials, such as silicone, that are compatible with human tissues to enhance or augment the physical structure of your face.
This type of cosmetic treatment is most often used on the chin, but it’s also frequently used to enhance the cheeks, jaw, and temples. It allows your surgeon to sculpt your face in a way that can’t be achieved solely by using injectables.
Who is a candidate for these implants?
You may be a good candidate for this type of implant if you’re experiencing some of the inevitable signs of aging, including sagging skin or a loss of volume that makes your face look sallow and sunken. Facial implants can also help if you simply would like to improve your facial appearance by ensuring that your features are more balanced.
You should have realistic goals and discuss what results you can reasonably expect with your plastic surgeon.
In general, you may be a good candidate if you’d like to achieve the following goals:
- Filling out the hollows in your cheek area
- Building up a weak-looking chin
- Defining a strong jaw line
- Improving your facial profile
- Balancing your face
What do you need to know about facial implants?
The following information will help you decide if facial implants are right for you:
- Before the procedure – There are several different types of implants including, chin implants, cheek implants, jaw implants, and temple implants. Dr. Romo will discuss all of your options and will recommend your best option for your unique case.
- Time – Implants can be performed alone or combined with other procedures. When it’s performed alone, it takes approximately 1 hour or so.
- Scarring – Scars are virtually invisible since they’re small and placed in locations that either can’t be seen or are n very inconspicuous places.
- Downtime – You’ll need anywhere from a week to 10 days to recover from your surgery.
Popular types of implants:
- Chin – This procedure corrects a chin that’s too small by building it up to make your face have better overall balance. It can be combined with liposuction of the neck to further define your jaw line and is also sometimes combined with a lower facelift.
- Cheek – Implants can be placed directly on the cheekbones to provide a higher contour, on the mid-face to help correct a gaunt appearance or a combination of the two.
- Jaw – The lower jaw can be augmented with implants to give the face a more balanced silhouette.
If you’re interested in improving the balance and overall appearance of your face with facial implants, make an appointment today for a consultation with Dr. Romo. His superior surgical and artistic skills, combined with his genuine concern for his patients, make Romo Plastic Surgery the preferred practice for facial implants and other plastic and reconstructive surgeries.
Posted in: facial implants