Neck Lift Plastic Surgery in NYC
What Is a Neck Lift?
Neck lift surgery, known as submentoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery that can be performed to create a more youthful-looking neck and jawline. In many patients, the neck shows aging before the rest of the face, particularly among women, because their skin is thinner and they have a lower blood supply in this region. An aging neck may warrant treatment in order to keep its youthful appearance.
Candidates For Submentoplasty
A neck lift surgery may be recommended for patients of both genders facing one or more of the following aesthetic concerns:
- Loose skin or excess fat in the neck
- Soft tissues and lax muscles in the neck
- A jawline that lacks contour
For patients that undergo other facial plastic surgery procedures, such as a facelift, a neck lift can help to achieve the most natural, all-around rejuvenation by matching the look of the neck with your younger-looking face.
What Does a Neck Lift Procedure Involve?
Dr. Romo’s neck lift utilizes liposuction to eliminate excess fat, platysmaplasty to tighten the neck bands, followed by the removal of loose skin. Depending on the patient’s desired results, Dr. Romo may recommend other procedures along with a neck lift, such as a chin implant or lower facelift.
Here’s an overview of what you can expect during a neck lift:
- A neck lift can take 1‒2 hours (when performed as a single procedure), depending on the complexity
- When performed in conjunction with other procedures, such as a facelift, the surgery time will vary
- You will be given an anesthetic so you will not feel any pain during the procedure
- After surgery, your neck may feel tight and sore
- You may have some swelling and bruising after the procedure
- You may be advised to sleep with your head elevated for 1‒2 weeks
- Depending on the type of stitches used, sutures may be removed in 3‒5 days or stitches will dissolve on their own
- Recovery and potential downtime can range from 10‒14 days
- Scars are minimal and hidden behind the ear to conceal visibility
- When a facelift is performed in combination with a neck lift, any potential scars will be minimal as well, located along the ear creases and into the hairline to conceal visibility and keep the hairline natural-looking
Results Cosmetic Neck Surgery Can Achieve
Neck lift surgery may be used to:
- Correct horizontal lines or creases, also known as “turkey neck”
- Remove or tighten loose-hanging neck skin
- Fix prominent muscle banding in the neck
- Remove excess fat deposits
- Correct wrinkles or a double chin due to aging
- Remove extra folds of skin due to extreme weight loss
- Refine the separation between the neck and the chin/jawline
- Fix crepe-like skin in the neck
Neck Lift Recovery
After your procedure, there will be swelling and bruising that can last up to 10 days. For the first 48 hours, keeping the head elevated and applying cold compresses will help minimize the swelling. Medication will be prescribed to help alleviate discomfort. It is recommended to keep the head still and avoid turning or twisting for the first few days after surgery.
Every surgery has its risks, a neck lift’s risks and complications are rare but include:
- Skin Discoloration
- Persistent Swelling
- Excessive Bleeding
- Tissue Death
- Blood Clots
- Intense Itching
A more serious complication, which is very rare, is facial nerve damage that can lead to muscle paralysis.
Where Can I Find The Best Surgeon in NYC For My Neck Lift?
Thomas Romo III, MD, FACS is one of the most experienced and respected plastic surgeons for neck lift in the world, known for his meticulous minimally invasive surgical techniques and for achieving natural-looking results with a shorter recovery period. As a world-renowned innovator in surgical methods as well as an inventor of new endoscopic instruments for facial surgery, Dr. Romo’s practice draws patients from New York City, across the United States, and internationally for all of their surgical and non-surgical facial cosmetic needs.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about neck lift and other procedures Dr. Romo offers, contact our office today at 212-288-1500. You can also schedule a consultation with Dr. Romo by filling out our appointment request form. You deserve to look and feel your best, so don’t hesitate to contact us today!