Ethnic & African American Nose Job Surgery (Rhinoplasty) In NYC
Thomas Romo III, MD, FACS is one of the most experienced and respected plastic surgeons for ethnic rhinoplasty in the world, known for his meticulous minimally-invasive surgical techniques and for achieving natural-looking results with a shorter recovery period. As a world-renowned innovator in surgical methods as well as an inventor of new endoscopic instruments for facial surgery, Dr. Romo’s practice draws patients from New York City, across the United States, and internationally for all of their surgical and non-surgical facial cosmetic needs.
What Is Ethnic Rhinoplasty?
An ethnic nose job is a cosmetic procedure that is performed to change the appearance of the nose in a person of ethnic descent, such as an African America rhinoplasty (African American nose job) or Asian. This type of nose surgery is significantly different from the widely known traditional rhinoplasty that involves nose reduction (taking away bone and cartilage), typically among Caucasian individuals. Ethnic rhinoplasty involves nose augmentation (adding cartilage and structure) for individuals who are looking to correct a flattened nose, flaring nostrils, or other ethnic characteristics. Candidates for this type of surgery may be of African American background, Asian (Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Filipino) heritage, or Latin American or Hispanic ethnicity.
Dr. Thomas Romo III, is a top ethnic rhinoplasty surgeon in NYC, who has developed a unique augmentation technique that utilizes natural tissue and safe porous implants to produce a nose that appropriately matches the face shape and ethnicity of each individual patient.
Results Of Ethnic Nose Surgery
Ethnic rhinoplasty may be used to:
- Make a nose that is too flat more pronounced and elevated
- Make a nose that is too small more defined
- Help improve the balance of the nose with the chin and forehead
- Reduce the width of nostrils that appear to be “flaring”
- Reduce the overall width or length of a nose
Depending on a patient’s needs and desired results, Dr. Romo may also recommend another cosmetic surgery in conjunction with ethnic rhinoplasty, such as a chin implant, in order to help balance the facial proportions.
Female Ethnic Rhinoplasty Before And After
Male Ethnic Rhinoplasty Before And After
Candidates For An Ethnic Rhinoplasty
The nose is a defining feature of the face that can greatly impact the facial profile and proportions, especially if it is too small, too flat, or if it is non-symmetrical in shape. Ethnic rhinoplasty may be recommended for patients whose nose is at full maturity, typically at around 15 years of age or older. At Romo Plastic Surgery, we treat each patient as an individual and take the time to listen to your needs and concerns before recommending the best treatment options.
Reasons for undergoing ethnic rhinoplasty may include:
- Achieve better balance of the facial features
- Make the face more symmetrical
- Build a better facial profile
- Achieve a noticeable change in facial silhouette
- Help the patient gain confidence in facial appearance
What Types Of Ethnic Nose Surgery Does Dr. Romo Specialize In?
Dr. Romo has extensive experience with performing ethnic rhinoplasty on patients of diverse backgrounds and with diverse needs. In particular, he frequently performs African American rhinoplasty and Asian rhinoplasty procedures.
- African Americans often have broader and somewhat flatter noses than individuals of European descent
- Most African American rhinoplasty patients seek to improve the appearance of their nose without erasing their heritage and identity
- Typically, this procedure involves lifting the bridge of the nose and narrowing the nostrils
- African-American nasal bones are comparatively short, requiring special care in ethnic rhinoplasty procedures
- Dr. Romo has the surgical skills and results-oriented attitude necessary to achieve a cosmetic result that beautifies the face while respecting and preserving ethnicity
- African American skin is typically thicker, and this makes refining the nasal tip more challenging, requiring special expertise and surgical care
African-American Nose Surgery Before And After
- Asians often have smaller, flatter and sometimes broader noses than individuals of European descent
- Most Asian rhinoplasty patients seek to improve the appearance of their nose without erasing their heritage and identity
- Typically, requests from Japanese, Korean, Filipino, and Chinese rhinoplasty patients involve lifting the bridge of the nose and, in some cases, narrowing the nostrils
- Dr. Romo has the skill and sensitivity to achieve a cosmetic result that beautifies the face while respecting and preserving ethnicity
- Special consideration must be given to the technical challenges that may arise when refining an ethnic nose
- Asians typically have thicker skin, and this makes refining the nasal tip more challenging
- Asian nasal bones may be comparatively short, requiring special care in rhinoplasty
Asian Nose Surgery Before And After
What Is An Ethnic Augmentation Rhinoplasty?
The skin of the nose itself has no shape; it is instead the underlying cartilage and bony architecture that delineate the shape of the nose. Therefore, most ethnic noses require grafts and implant materials to produce a more defined and elevated nose. To reduce the width of the nose or nostril size, other processes may also be involved.
Before surgery, Dr. Romo uses advanced computer imaging to illustrate how a patient’s nasal appearance can be improved through ethnic rhinoplasty. This will allow you to see how your nose will look following surgery.
Ethnic Augmentation Rhinoplasty Procedure Overview
You will be given an anesthetic so you will not feel any pain during the procedure. The procedure will last from 2‒3 hours, depending on the complexity. When performed in conjunction with other procedures, the surgery time may vary
Ethnic Augmentation Rhinoplasty Recovery
You may have some swelling and bruising after the procedure. Recovery and potential downtime can range from 10‒14 days, although most patients can return to work in about a week. Scars are minimal and located either within the nose or under the tip of the nose to conceal visibility
Why Choose Dr. Romo For Ethnic Nose Surgery?
Dr. Romo is a pioneer in the field of rhinoplasty, with extensive experience in performing many different forms of this procedure, including revision rhinoplasty and rhinoplasty for teenagers. Specifically, he is an expert in the aesthetic reconstruction of the platyrrhine, or flattened nose. This rhinoplasty procedure, first conceived and published by Dr. Romo in 1992, has its basis in that the flattened or platyrrhine nose requires substantial augmentation to properly support it. His unique augmentation technique utilizes natural tissue and safe porous implants to produce a nose that appropriately matches the face shape and ethnicity of the individual.
In addition to his unique augmentation technique for ethnic rhinoplasty, Dr. Romo is currently in the process of working with the world-renowned Karl Storz Instruments to develop his own line of endoscopic instruments for ethnic rhinoplasty that work with greater precision and provide more natural results with less downtime. Dr. Romo has written numerous books and book chapters on his unique ethnic rhinoplasty approach and frequently lectures internationally, teaching his techniques to other surgeons.
Where Can I Find The Best Surgeon For My Ethnic Rhinoplasty In NYC?
Thomas Romo III, MD, FACS is one of the most experienced and respected plastic surgeons for ethnic rhinoplasty in the world, known for his meticulous minimally invasive surgical techniques and for achieving natural-looking results with a shorter recovery period. As a world-renowned innovator in surgical methods as well as an inventor of new endoscopic instruments for facial surgery, Dr. Romo’s practice draws patients from New York City, across the United States, and internationally for all of their surgical and non-surgical facial cosmetic needs.
Schedule A Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about ethnic rhinoplasty, rhinoplasty, revision rhinoplasty, rhinoplasty for children, or other procedures Dr. Romo offers, call our office today at 212-288-1500. You can also schedule a consultation with Dr. Romo by filling out our appointment request form. You deserve to look and feel your best, so don’t hesitate to contact us today!