Otoplasty Ear Surgery for Children in NYC
What is otoplasty?
Otoplasty is cosmetic ear surgery that is done to change the look of the ears. It may be performed to correct ears that are too big, oddly shaped, or stick out. Dr. Romo specializes in otoplasty for children and also performs the otoplasty surgery for adult patients as well in NYC.
What results can otoplasty for children achieve?
Otoplasty ear surgery for children may be used to:
- Change ear shape and protrusion, allowing for a more natural appearance
- Make one or both ears more proportionate to the size and shape of the head and face
- Pin back the ears
- Reduce the size of the ears or make them more symmetrical
Is my child a candidate for otoplasty?
Otoplasty is an option for children who are at least 5 or 6 years old, as reconstructive ear surgery is usually not advised until a patient’s ears have finished developing. Otoplasty will not in any way affect your child’s hearing.
Reasons for undergoing otoplasty surgery may include:
- Make the ears less prominent and more natural-looking
- Enhance facial appearance and balance
- Help the child gain confidence and self-esteem in his or her facial appearance
What does otoplasty for children involve?
With otoplasty for children, Dr. Romo designed a unique technique that uses a skin flap behind the ear, which allows for complete exposure of the ear cartilage and a more predictable result when suturing back the cartilage. This procedure avoids a common problem with traditional otoplasty that results in over-pinning, resulting in subsequent flaring of the ears called “telephone deformity.”
Here’s an overview of what you can expect during your child’s otoplasty:
- The procedure will last from 2‒3 hours, depending on the complexity
- Your child will be given an anesthetic so he or she will not feel any pain during the procedure
- Results can be seen immediately
- A light dressing is put in place after the surgery, which usually remains for one day
- After surgery, the patient will be given a ROMO-GUARDTM to protect the ears
- Recovery and potential downtime can range from 10‒14 days
- The surgery is done in the fold of skin behind the ear, so there is no visible scar
Why choose Dr. Romo for your child’s ear surgery?
Dr. Romo is a pioneer in the field of otoplasty for children, with more than 25 years of experience in performing groundbreaking surgical techniques for this procedure. He also provides microtia surgery for children. Dr. Romo designed and published a unique otoplasty technique, which enables a more predictable result as well as a tension-free closure that prevents deformity in the post-operative ear shape as the ear heals.
Committed to improving the level of comfort and protection provided by a postoperative ear device for his patients, Dr. Romo designed and developed a device called the ROMO-GUARDTM, which he created specifically for ear reconstruction surgeries.
In partnership with the Little Baby Face Foundation, a non-profit organization founded by Dr. Romo, he has provided hundreds of free surgeries to children of low-income families who are born with ear deformities.
Where can I find the best otoplasty surgeon for kids in NYC?
Thomas Romo III, MD, FACS is one of the most experienced and respected plastic surgeons for otoplasty and microtia surgery for children in the world, known for his meticulous minimally invasive surgical techniques and for achieving natural-looking results with a shorter recovery period. As a world-renowned innovator in surgical methods as well as an inventor of new endoscopic instruments for facial surgery, Dr. Romo’s practice draws patients from New York City, across the United States, and internationally for all of their surgical and non-surgical facial cosmetic needs.
If you are interested in learning more about otoplasty for children or microtia surgery for children, call our office today at 212-288-1500. You can also schedule a consultation with Dr. Romo by filling out our appointment request form. Your child deserves to look and feel his or her best, so don’t hesitate to contact us today!